I’m working on a design, and was having a tough time defining the brand. In an effort to pin it down, I decided to conduct a thought experiement. I imagined that I was interviewing a person, and that this person was the physical embodiment of the brand. He or she had all its characteristics. By anthropomorphizing the brand in this way, I was able to see it in 3-d, and get a really specific vision of the brand.
Here’s a few of the questions I ran through:
* Are you male or female?
* Do you prefer modern or classical architecture?
* What colour are the walls in your place of business?
* What music do you listen to?
* Where do you shop for clothes?
* What’s your favorite cuisine?
* Are you a serif or a sans?
The exercise was amazingly helpful. In seeing the brand in such an abstract way, I was able to interact with it, and understand it at a visceral level. I have a really clear image in my mind of what the design needs to do to satisfy the brand’s needs. And my mind is swimming with ideas.
Give it a try if you get stuck.